1 cup water
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup All-purpose flour
Vanilla Cream Filling:
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoon cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
Procedures: 1. Prepare three 10×6-inch cookie sheets. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a saucepan combine water, butter, and salt. Heat until butter melts and water boils. Lower heat.
3. Add flour and stir vigorously until the mixture leaves the side of the pan.
4. Remove from heat and with a wooden spoon, beat in eggs one at a time, beating until smooth before adding the next one. Continue beating until very smooth and shiny.
5. Drop the mixture onto ungreased cookie sheets by heaping tablespoons about 2 inches apart.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes; then lower the temperature of the oven to 300°F and continue baking for 10 to 15 minutes longer or until puffed. Allow to cool.
7. Prepare the Vanilla Cream Filling: Blend sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan. Combine with milk and egg yolks and gradually stir into the sugar mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
8. Prepare a pastry bag using a 1-inch round tip. Put in the cream filling.
9. Get one puffed shell and inject filling inside, Do the same with the rest of the puffed shells.
10. Arrange filled puffs on a wire rack with an aluminum pan underneath to catch glaze drippings. Set aside.
11. Prepare Caramel Glaze: Combine sugar, water, and cream of tartar in a saucepan. Boil until sugar is melted and becomes caramel colored.
12. With a spoon, drizzle caramel glaze over filled puffs while still warm. If caramel begins to harden, soften over warm water